I know I'm delinquent in my posts, but the last few weeks have just been a whirlwind of activities, and I feel like we have to take advantage of all that we can in the short span of time we have for fall, my absolute favorite time of year. With the exception of a few rainy days, the weather has been beautiful and as recently as this past weekend, we were wearing shorts and sandals.
A couple of weeks ago, we met some of our playgroup friends at a local pumpkin farm. Pumpkin farms these days are not the same as the pumpkin farms I grew up with (do I sound like an old person?). Pumpkin farms (in my day) were just pumpkin farms w an occasional corn maze and hayride. Today, pumpkin farms come complete w moon jumps, petting zoos, train rides, face painting and on and on. This was Emily's first experience at holding a baby chick - she even got to see a mama pig and her babies feasting away. Before we left, we stocked up on some pumpkins, gords and fall decorations for the house.
The next day, Daddy, Emily and I went to the pumpkin farm that I went to as a kid. I've been going there every year for as long as I remember. It's not much of a farm, but it was a part of my childhood and now it's becoming a part of Emily's. Again, we hit the moon jumps, the corn mazes, the petting zoos and scary attractions. And once again, we stocked up on more pumpkins.
This past weekend, we met some playgroup friends at a scarecrow festival. It was a beautiful day! The entire block was decorated with scarecrows w various themes -- from the Wizard of Oz (my all time favorite movie) to Sesame Street to the Jonas Brothers. We headed to the petting zoo, craft area and of course, the playground. When I asked Emily what her favorite part of the day was, she replied "the playground".
From there, we headed to Emily's Chinese class where Emily's teacher surprised us w homemade dumplings! Emily LOVES dumplings, (well, so does Mommy), especially Miss Helen's. It was a great way to wrap up the day!
The next day, after ballet and soccer, we all headed to an old pioneer village, another place I used to go to as a kid. Other than the flood of bees, it was yet another beautiful day. Train rides, carousel rides, hayrides and a trip to the pumpkin patch to pick out a pumpkin to decorate - little things that make a little girl so happy. Emily loves doing crafts, so when she saw the tables lined with paint, she settled in to create her masterpiece.
We met more playgroup friends at another pumpkin farm on Columbus Day. Emily had the best time running thru the corn mazes, going down the moon jump slides, taking a hayride, riding real live ponies and feeding the ponies and goats (pass the hand wipes, please).
I have always enjoyed fall, but this year especially so. Emily's at such a great age to experience the fall activities. I know I've said it before, but we are so incredibly blessed to have the wonderful friendships we have made thru our playgroups. It's so touching to see the older kids help Emily out and hold her hand when necessary, and then there are times when Emily will do the same for a child younger than her. At this point in Emily's life, she's just having fun with these kids, but there will come a day when they will have to lean on one another and the relationships she is forming now will be so important.
The last couple of weekends have been super fun, but super busy, and Mommy and Daddy are TIRED. Emily, however, still has enough energy in her reserve to entertain us during her bath!













3 comments:
Kristen - I am exhausted just reading your post! I don't know HOW you do it? You are absolutely amazing....
So happy to see Emily enjoying fall fun. And heartwarming to see our girls enjoying their time together. These days spent building their relationships are fabulously fun- but I too agree that these fun days are so much more than that! Some day soon our girls will need each other and they will be able to turn to each other and their strong friendships.
Holy cow!!! You get the gold star in visiting the local pumpkin patches!!! And they all look like total fun! Glad you are out and about enjoying the gorgeous weather. See ya soon!
Post a Comment