Monday, December 1, 2008

Holiday Traditions

Holidays are the time of the year when you share traditions. Some of the traditions I remember as a child are:

** All of us kids piling into the station wagon with Mom and Dad and driving down Lenertz Ave to check out all of the elaborate Christmas decorations;

** Putting up the manger that my grandfather made from my grandparent's first Christmas tree (to this day, I don't have a manger in my house because I can't find one that even comes close to the one that my grandfather made). Sadly, the manger was destroyed in that huge flood we had several years ago.

** Making Springerle cookies (a German cookie recipe passed down from my grandmother that takes three days to make) w my Mom. My mom would be grumbling the majority of the time because they were a very difficult cookie to make, and we'd all be covered from head to toe in flour, but in the end, we never regretted taking the time to make these scrumptuous cookies.


** Going downtown to see the Nutcracker ballet;

** Going to my grandparent's house to eat gingersnaps and see their white Christmas tree. They had a fan w colored blades on it and it would change the color of the tree as the blade went around.

I really want to have traditions within our family that Emily will look back on w fond memories someday. I've already started some small traditions (i.e. giving her an Asian themed ornament each year, making gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies w family and setting up our Dickens village). A new one I'm starting this year is the Advent House. I have been looking at various versions of houses and/or calenders the past couple of years, and then I saw this one and knew this was the one. The trick will be trying to keep Emily from peeking at all of the days in advance (actually, I'll probably be filling the drawers each day to avoid her curious eye).


My hope is that someday, Emily will set up this Advent house and share memorable stories with her own children.

Each year, I've entertained the thought of tackling the Springerle cookies. Last year, I actually ordered some from a German bakery in Indiana cuz I just craved them, and of course, they weren't nearly as good as the ones we made. Will this be my year??

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yes, you can do it! Come on, I want to try one!

I loved reading about your treasured memories. Emily will surely love all of the traditions you have started.

Julie said...

Kristin,
My dad used to make springerle's every year. They became hard as a rock and we couldn't stand the black licorice taste from the anise. Did your taste like black licorice? If he makes them this year I'll get you some. WE always have tons left over.
PS: where'd you get the advent house?