I know I'm behind on posts, but I've been trying to work on layouts of photos, and my computer is not cooperating with me (or I'm just being an idiot). So I'm posting what I have thus far--it's not what I envisioned, but I hope to get better w this over time.
Ron and I traveled to China the day before Thanksgiving in 2005. We traveled to Beijing first in order to visit some must see locations: the Great Wall, the Summer Palace, the Forbidden City, and of course to shop at the pearl market for some pearls and jade for our daughter who we had not yet met. We celebrated Thanksgiving in Beijing w families we had just met the day before. Rather than turkey and stuffing, we feasted on Peking duck (which, by the way, beats turkey hands down) and dumplings.
On November 28, 2005, Emily was placed into our arms. A day that had previously been a sad day for me (as it is the anniversary of my father's death) soon became the happiest day in my life. It only took Emily a couple of hours to warm up to us, and we immediately fell into the role of forever family. Emily was 9.5 months when we got her - she could sit up, but couldn't crawl. She didn't have any teeth yet, but she loved to eat (especially noodles, rice, steamed eggs, congee and Cheerios). She loved to laugh and play and did I mention, eat?!
We fell in love with China while we were there. As much as we couldn't wait to get home, a part of us wanted to stay in China and experience it all. There is so much history in this country, and we wanted to learn everything we could about our daughter's homeland.
I remember when we received Emily's referral photos, I was so concerned that we would be getting a baby that would never laugh and would always be so serious (her expression is very serious in all three of her referral photos). I couldn't have been more wrong. This little munchkin is going to be the class clown. She loves to be the center of attention, she loves to perform and she just loves to laugh. She makes us laugh each and every day. I also remember that I sometimes felt intimidated by Emily's referral photos because, as I studied and memorized everything about her, I had this feeling that she knew more than me. Well, in that respect, I was right. Emily was born in the year of the Rooster, and roosters are known for their stubborness and boldness--they sure had her pegged. On an ironic note, roosters are not supposed to be that compatible with rabbits, and guess what year both Ron and I were born in - the year of the Rabbit!
We are now playing the waiting game for Emily's sibling--boy or girl, we don't care. Going into it for the second time, we knew that the wait was going to be much much longer than the 7 months we waited for Emily. We considered adopting from other countries where the wait wasn't as long, but our hearts are in China; sounds strange to say, but it feels like home to us. Our LID (log in date -- the date our dossier was logged into China) is April 26, 2007; we're currently about 16 months into the wait and it will likely exceed 3, maybe 4 years. We're trying not to think about it too much. It will happen when it's meant to happen. And right now, we have a 3 year old that is keeping us immensely busy and is happy getting all of the attention.
On November 28, 2005, Emily was placed into our arms. A day that had previously been a sad day for me (as it is the anniversary of my father's death) soon became the happiest day in my life. It only took Emily a couple of hours to warm up to us, and we immediately fell into the role of forever family. Emily was 9.5 months when we got her - she could sit up, but couldn't crawl. She didn't have any teeth yet, but she loved to eat (especially noodles, rice, steamed eggs, congee and Cheerios). She loved to laugh and play and did I mention, eat?!
We fell in love with China while we were there. As much as we couldn't wait to get home, a part of us wanted to stay in China and experience it all. There is so much history in this country, and we wanted to learn everything we could about our daughter's homeland.
I remember when we received Emily's referral photos, I was so concerned that we would be getting a baby that would never laugh and would always be so serious (her expression is very serious in all three of her referral photos). I couldn't have been more wrong. This little munchkin is going to be the class clown. She loves to be the center of attention, she loves to perform and she just loves to laugh. She makes us laugh each and every day. I also remember that I sometimes felt intimidated by Emily's referral photos because, as I studied and memorized everything about her, I had this feeling that she knew more than me. Well, in that respect, I was right. Emily was born in the year of the Rooster, and roosters are known for their stubborness and boldness--they sure had her pegged. On an ironic note, roosters are not supposed to be that compatible with rabbits, and guess what year both Ron and I were born in - the year of the Rabbit!
We are now playing the waiting game for Emily's sibling--boy or girl, we don't care. Going into it for the second time, we knew that the wait was going to be much much longer than the 7 months we waited for Emily. We considered adopting from other countries where the wait wasn't as long, but our hearts are in China; sounds strange to say, but it feels like home to us. Our LID (log in date -- the date our dossier was logged into China) is April 26, 2007; we're currently about 16 months into the wait and it will likely exceed 3, maybe 4 years. We're trying not to think about it too much. It will happen when it's meant to happen. And right now, we have a 3 year old that is keeping us immensely busy and is happy getting all of the attention.













5 comments:
I love the pictures of Emily as a little one! Isn't it fun to see the changes the girls make? Hope you're having fun with your blog. I get the biggest kick out of seeing where people are who view the blog! Let me know if you want to add that feature. I can help you if you need it. Hope to see you soon.
What a super cutie pie! Thanks for sharing those early photos. Your entry sounds so familiar to our feelings and trip. We were there just a few weeks ahead of you! And yes....she sure does have a super big personality!
Kristen,
I love that little face. She is just too precious. I wish I would have known Em then. I know what you mean about China feeling like home. I would move there in a second and if we adopted again it would be China. I keep praying things speed up with the olympics over now.
Thanks for the background info! We were in China just weeks after you with our family day being Dec.11.
I love seeing pictures of Emily from your trip. She is still so cute and such a joy to be around!
Emily is the cutest "little" personality. I love hearing about her earliest traits. And her baby photos are beautiful.
China does feel like home and I understand completely that your heart and second child will be there. We will be with you and here for you during the wait. Enjoy these days of Emily. I know that she makes all your days joyful.
Post a Comment