Friday, January 30, 2009

Chinese New Year Celebration

On the eve of Chinese New Year, we got together with Emily's Mandarin teacher and her family, as well as the other families of her students, for a Chinese New Year party. All of the girls, and some of the parents, got dressed up in their Chinese finest. The highlight of the party was Helen LaoShi and her husband teaching the girls how to fill and fold dumplings which were made from scratch. We then feasted on a multitude of Chinese dishes and finished with NianGau (New Year's cake).



We then played a game where both the children and the parents could demostrate their knowledge of Mandarin, cheered the children on in a lion dance and finally watched the girls read their Chinese lessons and sing Chinese songs. The evening was capped off with the children receiving their hung bao (red envelopes).


We all had such an incredible time and are so thankful to Helen LaoShi and her husband for making this such a memorable event for all of us.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Emily looks so pretty in her Chinese finest! Looks like it was a wonderful time. I'm sorry we missed it.

Sue said...

What a terrific way to celebrate CNY!! I am sure Helen's cooking was excellent! Emily looks adorable in her qipao!

Julie said...

What a fun party. Wow, you've been to 2 parties learning how to make dumplings. I think you will have to make them for the group now. I'm sure you're a pro. Emily looks so darling.